Lullah

Lullah

F105

Memory Lane

November 23 2019

Melburnians who remembers The Clayton Twin Drive-In that was on the corner of Blackburn Rd and Wellington Rd Clayton. My family home which was sold the other year was between Dandenong Rd and Wellington Rd Clayton so we were within walking distance of the Drive-In. As a little girl I remember seeing Mary Poppins there and I remember playing on the swings too. Because we were within walking distance I remember how we would go under the padlocked gate to see a movie, wouldn't be able to do that or get away with it nowadays. I remember how people in their cars would park along Wellington Rd to watch whatever movie was showing at the time, 'wonder if any of them could lip read? I remember the color of the panel steel fencing surrounding the Drive-In, it was if my memory is correct green, a plum color and white. Do you remember the Drive-In and did you ever go to see a movie there?..Melburnians former Mellburnians and Interstaters who have spent time here what are your memories about Melbourne/Victoria from back in the day?

#nostalgia

Comments

• teamaj2

teamaj2

4 years ago

I definitely remember going to the drive in with my parents . We used to go in our flannel PJs and fluffy dressing gown and fall asleep in the back of the station wagon .
    I remember so many wonderful things about my childhood -
    ⁃ getting takeaway Chinese from the local shops and having to take your own saucepans . No takeaway containers back then .
    ⁃ I remember getting bread delivered onto the doorstep . We used to listen for the tin lid being put back on after the delivery . The milk also being delivered in a bottle with the layer of cream on top .
    ⁃ Having one big black home phone , that was attached to the wall . Waiting ages for mum to ‘finally ‘ get off the phone !
    ⁃ Feeling very naughty and sneaking out of bed to peak at my parents watching ‘number 96’ and ‘The Box’ on television . It was very risqué and out there for the day .
    ⁃ No Sunday trading and the shops shutting at lunchtime on Saturday .
    ⁃ I could go on but anyone reading this has probably lapsed into a coma of boredom . I suppose this makes me old . Hopefully there is something to be said for the wisdom and experience that comes with age .

• RHP User

RHP User

4 years ago

I remember going to the drive in as a child, sitting in the back seat getting chips & a drink... it was soooo exciting.
    Then going as an adult sitting in the back seat and making out... and that was soooo exciting.😉 😍😍
    I remember Luna Park & St Moritz ice skating rink, going shopping in the city, the old Coles store in Swanson St, going down stairs with mum & dad to have lunch in the cafeteria. I thought it was very grown up.
    So many awesome memories I could go on for ages 😊

• RHP User

RHP User

4 years ago

AC/DC at Iceland’s Ringwood.

• RHP User

RHP User

4 years ago

Stickers on every second bumper. 3 XY ROCKS Melbourne. ( or whichever suburb you like)
    Waiting in the car with my bros. & sis. while mum & dad were in the pub watching the 1956 Olympics. Just a short time and not many times. ( they would be arrested now).....

• RHP User

RHP User

4 years ago

Gough Whitlam at my High School, shook his hand, he was a big man ! had "It's Time" stickers all over my treadly and school stuff.

• jenniecruising

jenniecruising

4 years ago

As a kid -
    Having lunch with dad at Pellegrini's when a bowl of pasta was only a few dollars and a coffee fifty cents (RIP Nino)
    Heading down the Nepean for Rosebud holidays (grandparents eventually bought a caravan park there which was awesome)

• MsJonesy

MsJonesy

4 years ago

Is the iconic red rattler trains. I spent many hours on them to and fro to school, casual jobs, and parties. I used one of the rail lines which had the red rattlers for much longer than most of the other lines, as the line didn't go through the loop - the rattlers were banned from the city loop as they were a fire hazard (wooden!)

I have fond memories of prying open the doors on hot days, and windows which actually opened! Many teenage romances were launched in those old beauties. 😁

• tall60

tall60

4 years ago

I remember the Toorak and Sandringham drive ins ...just thought I’d throw them in the mix...nothing particularly sexy though.

• boobsandbusted

boobsandbusted

4 years ago

Hanging on the running boards on the outside of the city teams Cos the tram wass so full ,and being amazed at the tram conductors they always found you to buy your ticket

Mr b

• teamaj2

teamaj2

4 years ago

Usebi

U mentioned Ac/DC at Ringwood .

That’s something we truly miss , live music venues at every corner hotel . So close to home , affordable and great music . We saw Dragon , Moving Pictures , The Angels etc . Men at Work performed at my year 12 end of year event . We had no idea who they were lol . Sadly the pokies have taken over the Sandbelt in Moorabbin , Sandringham Hotel and most hotels . We were spoilt for choice .
    As for the drive- ins , many a romance was consummated there . I took my husband on a ‘date ‘ to the Dandenong drive in as he’d never been - he comes from country Victoria .

• RHP User

RHP User

4 years ago

Boobs_or_busted
    I forgot about the trams, I remember on the way to work smoking in the middle open section, even when freezing in winter.. the smart people were in either end with doors closed and bring back conductors!
    So glad I gave up ciggies a long time ago.
    I also remember hanging out in the city square Friday & Saturday nights people would pull up in a car and ask anyone to hop in to go to parties all over then they’d drop us back later on, never had an issues, certainty wouldn’t consider it now.
    Those were the days - young and probably a bit dumb.

• try1ngit

try1ngit

4 years ago

Also throw in the Oakleigh and Moorabin drive In's. smuggling friends into them in the boot of the car, and soemtimes forgeting to let them out when we went off to meet other frien, lol