Dating a gamer

March 05 2020

So statistically around 50% of people consider themselves 'gamers' because they play games. This is quite insulting to real gamers as playing phone games doesn't count to us, but does to statistics. So does playing card games and tabletops like D&D. More relevant though is that the gender spread between Male and Female is nearly 50-50 (sorry non-binaries).

As a non-casual gamer i don't just need time to be alone and time to hang out with my mates. I also need time to hang out with my Playstation, my Xbox, my Switch and my PC. Non-gamers don't get it, but i like to point out i only take in about 3-4 hours of non-interactive entertainment (TV, netflix etc.) a month. Most non-gamers do that in an average day after work.
So assuming the spread is still similar when casual gamers are removed
there must be plenty of non-gamers that find themselves in relationships
with gamers. I was wondering how that goes from both sides of the
relationship. And how relationships where both parties are gamers goes, especially where there games don't overlap.

Comments

• RHP User

RHP User

4 years ago

Relationships are unique and really only work when both parties work to keep the relationship going. If your Xbox/ PC/ pa5 or whatever the latest game is worth more than spending time on the relationship, than it won't work.

On the flip side, if you find another gamer and you can sustain relationship time gaming, your on a winner.

I am sure someone can do a mathematical equations for this.

• RHP User

RHP User

4 years ago

Whenever a couple has a different pass time or interest me time has to be negotiated. I like bushwalking, football and craft beer, no easy match, no biggie, you just give each other space, or the modern solution stay single.

• RHP User

RHP User

4 years ago

I don’t see how your dislike of non obsessed gamers is relevant here so I’ll just address the dating thing...
    I don’t know of any serious gamers who are in a relationship at all, let alone with a non gamer. It’s always because their potential partner is not willing to take a backseat to a computer game, which is fair enough I think. I imagine dating a fellow gamer and enjoying sitting there ignoring each other together would work well but I’m not familiar with any relationships like that though...

Ms Phoenix.

• neverenoughfun

neverenoughfun

4 years ago

hhmmm not entirely sure I would be into the same sort of games. My preferences involve more then one person, no screen, no pants but definitely lots of finger dexterity

• RHP User

RHP User

4 years ago

Lots of better games to play when you're dating someone 😛 couldn't think of anything worse than wasting my time playing kiddy computer games.
    Just my opinion.

• MrKentia

MrKentia

4 years ago

I'm quite concerned by the answers here, the disdain for gaming etc...
    Only usebi was on point. Thanks!

Gaming is an activity similar to other ones. You can be casual about it and play once in a while a game of Fifa or you can be very into it, going in world of warcraft's raids nearly each evening. Nothing's wrong with that.
    You could do the same in other activities too, that's what happen when you're really invested in a hobby. And same thing happen to workaholic, to entrepreneurs, to professional athletes, to politicians.

Nobody should have an issue with that. And of course you can still have a relationship, a good and balanced one.
    With every hobby/activity, the balance of me time/us time needs to be discussed. Communication is key so you need to find some middle grounds with your other half and also accept that they are not at your disposal. It's not because you're free on Saturdays and Sundays evenings that they should too!
    Like every hobby practised at an advanced level, you need to speak with your partner. No secret there.

Good luck!

• Dryphuz

Dryphuz

4 years ago

Yeah most non-gamers look down on gamers as if they don't spend 4-6 hours a day doing their hobby too.

The last time i dated a non-gamer (and she considered herself a gamer because she had played angry birds... she wasn't even currently playing, she had just played it for a bit in the past) the problem wasn't making time for our hobbies. Instead she was like "Did you see Walking Dead this week?" and i was like "yeah, i reckon telltale is going under." And then she was like "Who's telltale?" Its not what ended the relationship, but it was an indication that there were some deeper issues at play... She did like that my PS3 controllers vibrated...